Intersection Being Switched to All-Way Stop This Month
CHARLOTTE – The intersection of Wilgrove-Mint Hill Road and Truelight Church Road in Mint Hill will be converted to an all-way stop later this month. The intersection currently requires traffic on Truelight Church Road to stop, but traffic on Wilgrove-Mint Hill Road does not have to stop.
Weather permitting, the switch will take place Tuesday, Jan. 31. The project includes installing stop signs on both sides of Wilgrove-Mint Hill Road, in addition to new pavement markings on both roads to alert motorists to the new traffic pattern.
NCDOT will place electronic message boards on both sides of Wilgrove-Mint Hill Road approaching the intersection the week before the changes take effect.
Drivers approaching a four-way stop should follow these right of way rules:
• The first vehicle to the intersection has the right of way ahead of any vehicle that has not yet arrived;
• When two or more vehicles reach an intersection at the same time, the vehicle to the right has the right of way;
• The vehicle with the right of way may move straight ahead or, if legal and after signaling, turn left or right;
• When two facing vehicles approach an intersection at the same time, both drivers can move straight ahead or turn right. If one driver is going straight while the other wants to turn left, the driver who wants to turn left must yield. The driver who is traveling straight ahead has the right of way; and
• Even with the right of way, remember to use the appropriate turn signals and be careful to avoid hitting other vehicles and/or pedestrians.
For real-time travel information, visit DriveNC.gov or follow NCDOT on Twitter.
contact: Jen Thompson